Categories
News

Allegedly struck with a glass or bottle in Ennis pub

A DUBLIN man who allegedly struck another person with a glass on the night Clare welcomed home the county’s All-Ireland champion hurlers will have his case heard in the Circuit Court.

Judge Patrick Durcan refused jurisdiction of the case after hearing details of the alleged assault at Ennis District Court on Wednesday.

Darren Brady (39), with an address at Abbeyville Green, Swords Manor, Swords, Dublin, is charged with as- sault causing harm to a man at Dan O’Connell’s Bar, Ennis on September 29, 2013.

Garda Cormac Kelly of Ennis Garda Station gave evidence of arrest, charge and caution.

He said Mr Brady made no reply to charge after caution.

Inspector Tom Kennedy said the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) had directed summary disposal of case.

Garda Kelly outlined a summary of the alleged facts to allow Judge Patrick Durcan consider jurisdiction.

A medical report outlining the alleged injuries suffered by the man was given to Judge Durcan.

Garda Kelly told the court the alleged injured party was in the bar with his girlfriend.

He said it would be alleged Mr Brady started to behave inappropriately towards the woman.

Garda Kelly said, “He (alleged victim) asked him (Mr Brady) to leave her alone at which point he head butted the alleged injured party and struck him in the head with either a glass or a pint bottle”.

Judge Durcan refused jurisdiction. He said he was doing so based on the alleged evidence and the injuries allegedly suffered by the alleged victim.

Insp Kennedy said the case would now be referred back to the DPP. He told the court that a book of evidence would also be prepared.

Mr Brady is also charged with two public order offences arising out of the alleged incident at the pub.

He was remanded on bail to appear again at Ennis District Court on March 12.

Categories
News

North Clare dole queue growing faster

NORTH Clare is in danger of becoming an unemployment blackspot if action is not taken to reverse worrying jobs trends in the region.

Almost 74 per cent of all new people signing on the live register in the last quarter of 2013 signed on in the Ennistymon office.

Fears have also been expressed locally about the growth in the number of long-term unemployed in the area, with the overall number of people signing on in North Clare growing by almost 300 per cent over the last eight years.

These figures do not take into account the number of people emigrating from the North Clare area, meaning the over number of actual jobs lost in the area could be far greater than the official figures suggest.

The overall number of people signing on in Clare rose by 302 people between September and December of last year. Over the same time period, the number of people in the Ennistymon area office grew by 223 people, meaning that 73.84 per cent of all live register increases in the county came in the Ennistymon area.

While much of this can be explained as a result of seasonal factors, with a number of large tourism sector em- ployers located in North Clare, the continued stagnation of the county’s building industry is also a major problem in the North Clare area.

“The Government needs to be cognizant of the fact that it needs to create job, not just on the city areas but in the regions as well. Opportunities are going to have to be developed for smaller, local employers who can offer four or five sustainable jobs. There is no point getting a factory into Ennistymon, Miltown Malbay or Lisdoonvarna that could be gone in five years,” said Ennistymon businessman and Senator, Martin Conway (FG).

“The recession has hit hard in North Clare. A lot of the people who are long-term unemployed in North Clare are that because of the collapse in the construction industry. It is really difficult to get employment in the area at the moment – particularly for young men.”

The number of people singing on the live register in North Clare doubled between 2005 [637] and 2008 and 1,214. The numbers signing on have fluctuated seasonally between 1,500 and 1,700 over the last fours years. It has been suggested that the repair work in North Clare following the storm might help a number of the long-term unemployed in Clare back into employment.

Categories
News

Setback for Doolin trad centre

THE proposal to build an interactive tradition music visitors centre in Doolin received a setback this week as an Bord Pleanála overturned the recommendations of its own planning inspector, in forcing the developers to pay for the development of pedestrian access from the proposed centre to Doolin village.

Plans to construct an interactive visitor centre including retail space, service building, as well as car and coach parking were approved by Clare County Council in August of last year. A condition on the planning was to compel the developers, Tradtime Limited, to give a special contribution of € 30,000 to Clare County Council to develop pedestrian access to the site.

In her assessment of the appeal, an Bord Pleanála own inspector, Louise Kiernan, recommended that the condition for the special contribution be lifted, describing it as “unwar- ranted”.

“The planning authority are looking for too much,” she said in her report.

“They are getting lands for free as well as provision of a footpath and lighting across the site frontage and they are still looking for a large contribution towards a footpath link.”

In a rare move, the bord of an Bord Pleanála, decided to overturn the decision of its own inspector.

“Having regard to the nature of the proposed development, the likely lev- el of usage and associated volumes of pedestrian movement associated with the proposed development it is considered that in the absence of the provision of a suitable and safe pedestrian linkage between the site and the central area of Doolin the proposed development should not proceed,” they said.

“Accordingly, it is considered that the imposition of a financial levy as a special financial contribution towards the funding of such pedestrian linkage and footpath is appropriate.”

Categories
News

Funding boost for Clare musicians

NEW jobs and the first countywide music education programme are on the way after Clare secured over € 400,000 from a funding project supported by rock legends U2.

The successful Clare bid will see music teachers employed to work in school and out of school settings, teaching music to children and young adults around the county.

The overall aim is to provide the first countywide music education service in Clare.

‘Music Generation, the U2 and Ireland Funds’ supported National Music Education Programme initi- ated by Music Network, announced earlier this month that South Dublin and Clare had been selected for participation in the fourth and final round of the programme.

Clare Music Education Partnership will receive close to € 435,000 in seed funding which will enable high quality, accessible music education programmes to be provided for children and young people in their local communities. Clare / Limerick Education and Training Board (formerly Clare VEC) is the lead statutory agency for the programme.

Meetings have already taken place between representatives of Clare Limerick ETB, CMEP and Music Generation.

It is expected that the programme will start to roll out towards the latter half of 2014. Clare’s bid for Music Generation funding attracted support from a number of local agencies including Clare County Council, LEADER, Family Resource Centres, Clare Youth Services and Maoin Cheoil an Chláir.

Acclaimed musician and scholar Mícheál Ó Súilleabháin also lent his high profile support to the bid along with University of Limerick’s World Academy of Music.

It is thought that the Clare will collaborate with local private music providers and the successful Limerick City Music Generation Project.

Among the aims for the programme are the establishment of a Clare County Orchestra and Clare Children’s Choir. It is hoped the funding will create employment opportunities for Clare singers and musicians.

For further information log onto the Clare Music Education Partnership Facebook page.

In July 2009 U2 and The Ireland Funds announced a € 7 million donation to support the cause when national funding to roll out successful pilot schemes was impacted due to the current economic climate.

Music Generation will provide three-year seed funding to establish local services, which will be sustained by Music Education Partnerships on a long-term basis.

Categories
News

AerCap buyout a boost for Shannon

SHANNON looks set to once to be a strong player in the world aircraft leasing industry following news of a multi-billion-euro takeover by Irish company AerCap.

It has emerged that Shannon based company AerCap have just agree a € 4.3 billion deal which will see it buy out American giant International Lease Finance Corporation (ILFC).

The takeover, which is likely to be finalised between April and May of this year, will dramatically swell the number aircraft on the books of AerCap from its current number, understood to be in the region of 380, to a massive 1,300. This would make it one of the biggest aircraft leasing companies in the world.

Although the corporate headquarters of AerCap are currently in the Netherlands, it is understood that the impact of the merger will be heavily felt in Shannon. The company formed following the collapse of Guinness Peat Aviation (GPA) and its global business is headed by Aengus Kelly, who previously worked at GPA in Shannon.

Meanwhile, Shannon Airport recorded an increase in passenger numbers for the first time in five years in 2013, the first year since it came under local control.

A total of 1,400,032 passengers flew through the Clare airport last year, an increase of just over 5,000 on the 1,394,781 who used the facility in 2012.

The increase was achieved despite a difficult start to 2013 as month-overmonth passenger numbers continued to decrease in the immediate wake of the airports de-coupling from the Dublin Airport Authority.

However, strong growth from June onwards saw the airport halt the fiveyear slide in passenger numbers.

“Last year was always going to be challenging, not least at the beginning of the year as we emerged from the State airports group,” said Shannon CEO Neil Pakey.

“After a slow start in terms of passenger numbers over the first five months, trends improved considerably as the year drew on and the second half of the year was very positive.

“We are very confident that we will now achieve real growth as we move into 2014 and beyond.”

The increase in the latter half of the year was more pronounced on transatlantic routes where 22 per cent growth was achieved, thanks to new services to Chicago and Philadelphia.

Categories
News

Burren farmers may share €20m conservation fund

HUNDREDS of farmers in the Burren could be in line for a € 20 million boost if the Department of Agriculture decide to fully fund the rollout of the Burren Farming for Conservation Project (BFCP).

The programme, which is funded until the end of 2014, was mentioned in the draft publication of the Rural Development Programme (RDP), which had just been published. According to the report, a total of € 5 million will be allocated each year to fund the BFCP and other such programmes between 2015 and 2020.

The Carron-based programme currently supports essential environmental developments on more than 100 farms in the Burren. The group and the Burren IFA have been campaigning for the full rollout of the scheme to the entire Burren National Park, a move that would cost an estimated € 5 million.

The BFCP is a pioneering project in the world of environmentallyfriendly farming, and it is not clear which organisation could compete with it for a share of the € 5 million.

“This is a draft document and nothing has been finalised yet. There is a tentative budget of € 5 million per annum in the report but we don’t have a clear idea where we stand at the moment. We are still in limbo to a certain extent,” said Brendan Dunford of the BRCP.

“All we can do is keep working with the Burren IFA and the National Parks and Wildlife Service to convince people of the merits of the scheme. There is a still a few months to go before the budget for the Rural Development Programme in finalised and all we can do is keep on the pressure until that time.”

The BFCP has been in operation in Clare since 2009, and grew out of the BurrenLife Project, which was Ireland’s first ever programme for conservation farming.

Categories
News

St Stephen’s night storm accounts for 61% of callouts

THE St Stephen’s night storm was responsible for 61 per cent of all of the Christmas callouts for Clare’s Fire and Rescue Service.

As many as 70 of the 115 incidents attended by the emergency services between December 20, 2013, and January 3, 2014, involved falling trees on the night of December 26, at a cost of approximately € 60,000 to the Fire Service.

Meanwhile, non-weather related callouts – 45, were down across the county for a fourth successive year.

The call-out figures for the period were less than those recorded during the corresponding periods in 2010, 2011 and 2012 when the Fire Service was mobilised to 81, 64 and 48 incidents respectively.

This Christmas, six of the callouts related to house fires with a further six call-outs involving chimney fires, while fire-fighters also attended 14 road-based incidents, foor agricultural building fires, three storage building fires and five false alarm.

The busiest station this Christmas was Ennis, attending to 61 of the calls, followed by Shannon who attended 23.

“This was one of the busiest periods experienced by Clare County Fire and Rescue Service since the serious flooding which affected Clare in November 2009,” explained Adrian Kelly, Chief Fire Officer.

“The extremely windy conditions late on St Stephen’s Day and in the early hours of December 27 brought down a lot of trees throughout the county leading to some roads being blocked. Furthermore, other roads were impassable for a time due to flooding brought about by heavy rain. Due to the assistance of members of the public, together with staff from Clare Local Authorities, we were able to deal quickly with these incidents so as to ensure any disruption was minimised,” he said.

Categories
News

Musicians tune up for Lahinch playground

IRISH folk star, Luka Bloom, has joined a host of Clare’s finest musicians to record a single to help raise money for the Lahinch Playground Rescue Fund.

The playground, which was completed just three years ago, was devastated by Storm Catherine, which ripped away most of the ground works and cause damaged estimated to be well in excess of € 100,000.

The song, ‘Seaweed in Ennistymon’ was written by local musician Darragh McGlynn as he listened to the storm from his sea front property in Lahinch.

“I live by the sea front in Lahinch and we were getting trashed by every high tide. I worked on the song right through the storm and it was pretty much finished by Sunday night,” said Darragh.

“On Monday night, I went to a session in Cooley’s in Ennistymon and played it there. Everybody loved it, they were singing the song back to me before I had finished it. Within a week it was recorded and the rest is history.

“It was great to get Luka Bloom involved. He was a big fan of the song – he was all over it once he heard it. He played guitar and sang with me on the chorus and we were all really happy in the way that it turned out.”

Alongside Luka and Darragh, the song also features some of the vest of Clare musicians including Yvonne Casey, Quintan Cooper, Jon O’Connell and Adam Shiparo.

The song is currently available to download from I-Tunes for a cost of 99 cents. Darragh and Luka Bloom will perform the song at the Lahinch Christmas Frolics which will take place at Lahinch Seaworld this Saturday. Proceeds from the song will be donated to the Lahinch Playground Rescue Fund.

It was confirmed last week that the damage done to the Lahinch Playground by the recent storm will not be covered by insurance. The playground was sealed off to the public for 10 days amid fears that the ground works in the area might be unstable.

The Lahinch Playground Rescue Fund committee have launched a number of fundraising drives locally in recent days including a Wellington Collection Campaign as well as asking people to purchase sponsored bricks.

A special account for donations has been set up at account number 02334222, sort code 93-51-58. For more info search for “Lahinch Playground Project” on Facebook.

Categories
News

Boston passengers grounded

AER Lingus passengers planning to fly from Shannon Airport to Boston have been forced to cancel or postpone their flights as the new schedule has been delayed yet again.

The New Year round transatlantic schedule was initially to begin yesterday (Monday), but the new flights have now been delayed until February 4, leaving customers high and dry.

The options being offered to disappointed passengers by the airline in clude changing travel to a later date or flying with Aer Lingus from Dublin to Boston, with ground transportation being provided between Shannon and Dublin.

Alternatively, customers may choose to cancel their travel plans, and receive a full refund.

The airline has attributed the delay to an “unforeseen scheduling delay” with the delivery of a new B757 aircraft.

At first the plan for the ShannonBoston flight was held up for one week with a new start date of January 26 announced.

That was postponed again yesterday by just over another week.

Last July the airline announced that it was to begin a year round daily schedule to Boston and New York, having cut back on the winter schedule in 2011 due to losses.

The new service to begin in February will use two Boeing 757 aircrafts, which will be smaller than the Airbus 330 aircraft currently in use. However the number of flights to Boston will increase to five times a week from next month and will reach seven days a week in March. During the summer months 12 flights a week will travel to the US from Shannon, compared to seven last year.

Categories
News

Everyday life is difficult

BARBARA Cusack knew nothing about the flood in her home until she stepped on to the floor at 6am on the morning of the flood.

“I was woken by the rescue people who knocked on the door around 6am to see if we were okay. That was the first I saw of it,” she said.

Immediately she feared for her daughter who was just days from giving birth.

“I told her she would have to move out of the house somewhere when I saw all the damage in the area. How would she get to a hospital?” she said.

Since then Charlotte has given birth to a healthy boy Shane Joseph, but now Barbara fears the house is not safe to bring her first grandchild home.

The oil is still not working, she explained, making looking after her husband who is ill all the more difficult.

It is also making it more difficult to dry out the house and get life back to normal.

For three days after the storm, Barbara, like her neighbours, had to contend with no sewerage system, as the water got into the system and the nearby pumping station.

Barbara explained getting on with every day life is difficult as people try to dry out their houses, replace every day white electrical goods and live in fear of the next wave.