Categories
News

Businesses forge link with universities

A NEW initiative aimed at creating links between new Clare businesses and some of the country’s top research and development centres has gotten underway in Ennis.

Local authorities in Clare, Shannon Development and the west of Ireland’s two largest universities have teamed up to found the Ennis Inno- vation Centre.

Speaking last Thursday, Majella McNamara of Clare County Council’s Economic Development Unit said the centre had been set up to “help Clare-based businesses to access support in universities”.

She told a meeting of the Clare branch of Network Ireland that the centre has been opened to fill the gap created by the absence of a major third-level institution in Clare. She said that small businesses are often unsure how to avail of expertise offered by third-level institutions.

Modeled on the system of university transfer technology offices, the centre will help commercialise businesses ideas and encourage innovation, Ms McNamara said. She explained that the regional innovation centre offers start-up companies training and mentoring, expertise in business areas, linkages to academic institutions, technology transfer expertise and supported applications to development bodies. Ms McNamara said that while it isn’t the role of local authorities to directly create employment, it is their role to “facilitate job creation in Clare”.

The Innovation Centre is based at the Ennis Information Age Park on the Gort road and is overseen by recently appointed director, Gert O’Rourke. Ms O’Rourke has a background in training and consultancy and is the founder of Gert O’Rourke training and development. The centre is a joint initiative between Shannon Development, Clare County Council, Ennis Town Council, National University of Ireland, Galway and University of Limerick.

Categories
News

Shannon college celebrates 60 years in business

THE Irish tourism industry is being strangled by the Joint Labour Committee (JLC) system preventing the creation of thousands of jobs in the sector, the Director of the Shannon College of Hotel Management, Mr Philip J. Smyth has said.

In his keynote address at the 60th anniversary of the college last Friday, Mr Smyth said that Sunday trading has become a “write off” for many operators in the industry because of the JLC. Under the JLC, minimum terms and conditions of employment in the catering sector above and beyond the national minimum wage are set, including premium payment for weekend and overtime work.

He said that Shannon College is the only third-level college/institute in Ireland with a 100 per cent graduate employment rate. “The concept of having to protect workers in the tourism sector is outdated and the sooner we abolish the JLC, the sooner we will begin creating jobs and fulfilling the enormous potential of the industry,” he said.

Mr Smyth told the gathering of over 200 guests that the prospects for growth in the industry are being hampered by a lack of national pride in service delivery. “As a population, we do not have a sense of service to match our wonderful sense of hospitality,” he said.

Congratulating the Shannon College of Hotel Management – a subsidiary of the Dublin Airport Authority – on its 60th anniversary, Director of Shannon Airport, Ms Mary Considine said its dedication to excellence has been nothing short of remarkable and that the college “has made an enormous contribution to the hotel industry here in Ireland and, indeed, globally”.

“To think that today, in such a challenging global economy, graduates from the college not only enjoy a 100% employment rate but are essentially headhunted by some of the world’s leading hotel groups speaks volumes for the standards that the college continues to deliver,” she said.

Since the first class of 18 students joined Shannon College in 1951, the college has grown to accept 100 students each year. It now offers two level 8 degree programmes (BBS and BComm) in business studies and international hotel management. It currently has 400 students enrolled, 200 of them Irish and the other half from 25 countries across the globe. Current students are undertaking professional work placements in 100 hotels across 16 countries worldwide.

Categories
News

Preying on tours and Communion

MONEYLENDERS are preying on Clare families who feel under pressure to finance Holy Communions and school tours at this time of year, the Chairman of the MABS, Paul Woulfe, has told The Clare People. Mr Woulfe, who is also the Manager of the Ennis Citizen’s Information Centre, said that in some cases people will feel compelled to turn to illegal moneylenders.

“People will (go to moneylenders), of course. They are looking for any form of credit. Some of these moneylenders are charging 40% interest rates,” he said, adding that parents are struggling to pay the costs associated with Holy Communions while activities such as school tours are also imposing a burden on families.

He described the cost of some school tours as ‘exorbitant’.

Categories
News

Brian Boru clan to bring Skyfest back home?

THOUSANDS of visitors are set to descend on Lough Derg starting from this weekend, with plans well advanced to make Killaloe the honourary capital of Ireland in 2014.

And the organisers of the Brian Boru 1,000-year commemoration festival are making the strongest bid to have Skyfest held on an inland body of water for the first time that year.

Killaloe businessman, and chairman of the Brian Boru 2014 committee, John O’Shea outlined the plans for the celebrations at a joint meeting of the Killaloe and Tipperary North local authority members last week.

Kicking off the events, it’s planned to have a march of thousands of ‘warriors’ who will walk from Killaloe to Clontarf.

“The march is meant to recreate the march of Brian Boru as he led his warriors off to do battle at Clontarf but these will be modern day warriors – walkers and athletes who will raise money for charity,” said John.

The committee are also well ahead with plans to have Killaloe made the honourary capital of Ireland from Friday, April 25, 2014 until Sunday, April 27 in celebration of the fact that Killaloe was capital for the 12 years of the High King’s reign. The committee hope to hold a Mass in remembrance of Brian Boru that Friday, followed by a Civic Ceremony to possibly unveil a monument or launch a commemorative coin or stamp.

The Saturday would see the cel- ebrations take to the lake with water-based activities and sports and, in the evening, a salute to Brian Boru on the lake with music on a floating stage, Riverdance, Machnas, re-enactments ending with a phantom longboat sailing up Lough Derg, a poignant remembrance as the ghost of Brian Boru makes his final voyage.

The final day, Sunday, April 27, will be a family day with music, parades, re-enactments, sports and lots of fun.

“This weekend should bring the O’Brien clan back to Killaloe to see the birthplace and home of their kinsmen,” John told the joint meeting.

The noble O’Brien clan, direct descendents of Brian Boru, are the third largest Irish clan with an estimated 700,000 members spread throughout the world and the 2014 committee aim to let every one of them know there is a welcome for them in Clare.

“When you live abroad, nothing means more to you than your sense of Irishness, your heritage and a longing to return to the land of your ancestors. 2014 is the time to welcome home the O’Brien clan,” said John. Negotiations are also underway to have the spectacular Skyfest fireworks display come to Killaloe that year. “This would be the first time that Skyfest was held on an inland waterway and I believe we have a very good chance of bringing it here,” John said.

All of the elected members pledged their full support for the celebratory plans.

Categories
News

Kilrush RNLI launches new lifeboat donated by late Baroness in will

THE courage of the brave crew of the Kilrush lifeboat was acknowledged at the weekend when the RNLI picked their station to receive a new lifeboat.

And a woman who deeply admired the bravery of lifeboat crews will now always be remembered in the Clare town after the new boat was named for her.

The Edith Louise Eastwick was blessed and launched for her maiden voyage at the weekend having been bought with money left by a Baroness in her will.

Baroness Majorie Von Schlippenbach passed away in April 2003 and left the money with the stipulation that the boat which her legacy bought would be named after her late mother.

As a child, the Baroness lived in Eastbourne, where her mother often told her the story of a lifeboat of the local RNLI, which had been funded by a friend. Whenever she saw the boat Mrs Eastwick would tell her daughter of the life-saving service which the lifeboat crews provided.

Accepting the Atlantic 85 lifeboat in Kilrush, Lifeboat Operations Manager John Lambe said, “We are extremely grateful to the Baroness for her gener- osity in funding our new lifeboat and to Tom MacSweeney for officially naming her. On behalf of our crew, station management and fundraisers here in Kilrush, I offer my sincere thanks. This lifeboat is the vessel that will carry our volunteer crew out to sea and on it they will save lives.”

Speaking to The Clare People , Pauline Dunleavy, Station Officer at Kilrush, said it is “a fantastic vote of confidence in the station here by the RNLI to give us this new boat. We’re just a small station but we’re absolutely thrilled to have the Edith Louise Eastwick.”

RNLI trustee John Coyle said that there is “not a day goes by without our volunteers risking their lives to save others. And let us not forget the sheer hard work and ability of our fundraisers. To raise essential funds in challenging times never ceases to amaze me.”

Maritime journalist Tom McSweeney performed the naming. He told the gathering that “working in the national media, I am aware that not every call for help [at sea] makes headlines but I know that each time a lifeboat launches the crew set out in the knowledge that they may have to use their training to deal with the most challenging of rescues.”

Categories
News

GP’s rapid response saves five lives

THE quick thinking of one local doctor saved the lives of five elderly women in Kilkee on Sunday evening.

The five women were still being treated at the Mid West Regional Hospital in Ennis yesterday evening following a major gas leak at a house on Railway Road in Kilkee just after 6.30pm on Sunday evening.

Four of the women, whose names have not been released, were found unconscious at the house after the quick thinking of the ShannonDoc doctor on call alerted the emergency services to the potential tragedy.

The five women, who meet each Sunday for a chat and a catch up, were saved after one of the women left the gathering early, complaining of a sickness.

When she returned home, her husband called ShannonDoc, who quickly sent out a doctor to assist the woman.

As soon as the doctor saw the sick woman, he realised that a serious tragedy could be about to take place and raised the alarm.

When the emergency services and the fifth woman’s husband arrived at the house, they found the women unconscious and removed them from the house before bringing them to the Mid Western Regional hospital in Ennis for treatment.

Ambulances from Kilrush and Ennis attended the scene, as well as a rapid response advanced paramedic unit from Ennis. Gardaí cordoned off the area while fire crews, wearing specialist breathing apparatus, searched the house for the source of the leak.

Fire crews established that the gas was leaking from a bulk tank at the rear of the house. They remained at the scene for several hours until technicians made the gas tank safe.

It is not thought that any of the women are seriously ill but it is likely to be later this afternoon (Tuesday) at the earliest before they are discharged from hospital.

Categories
News

Beamer up for raffle at Doonbeg charity weekend

DOONBEG will play host this weekend to fundraising efforts which are expected to realise € 50,000 towards educating children in Nepal.

The Clare branch of the international Indreni Children’s Charity will host a series of fundraising events over the weekend, which will culminate with a gala dinner and concert by the Chieftains on Saturday night.

A golf classic will take centre stage on Friday at the golf club, while a si- lent charity auction will run throughout the weekend and a raffle for a BMW will also take place.

Indreni provides a home and private education for 30 previously abandoned street children in Kathmandu, Nepal.

It was founded in 2006 by Ram Hari Khadka and commanded interest in Clare the following year when Keith Molony from Ennis encountered Mr Khadka.

He set up a branch in Clare and todate € 30,000 has been collected in the county for the organisation.

According to one of those involved in this weekend’s events, Pat Connellan, the aim is to raise € 50,000, which will go towards educating the children.

Pending the success of this weekend’s events, there are plans in place to run a similar event on an annual basis.

“Hopefully we will do it every year. This is the first time this has been done anywhere.

There has been good support from the people of Clare,” he said.

He explained the background to the Clare link with this organisation. “Keith met Ram Hari while trekking in Tibet in 2007. From that day on, Keith started funding it himself.

“A few more of us got involved last year. People are paying so much a month.

“We raised money and went over to Nepal in October. A group of us spent time with the children and helped out. It showed us where the money is going,” he added.

“It’s not a case like Chernobyl where the children are brought over here.

“The biggest thing is paying for their education because education is a long term solution to so many problems.

“The initial plan is to make enough money to build a school.

“This weekend we hope to clear € 50,000 and that will go towards sourcing the land,” he said.

For more information on the event, click on www.doonbeggolfclub.com or www.indreni.org.

Categories
News

Enticing the seniors

A NEW tourism publication will be highlighting the attractions of Clare to thousands of potential visitors in what is possibly one of the only home tourism sectors which still enjoys disposable income.

The magazine – which was launched at the weekend – is being produced in co-operation with one of the most influential publications for the over50’s, ‘The Senior Times’.

The 76-page publication will give a unique insight into the many activities and attractions in the Banner County, from a very personal perspective.

Aisling Travers of Shannon Development, who are funding the magazine, explains, “We asked people who are closely involved with various ac- tivities or places to each write a piece from their own personal experiences. For instance, Padraig Giblin who runs the angling school and centre wrote a beautiful piece about growing up on the shores of Lough Derg. Chris O’Neill, the Burren artist, wrote a piece on the experience of painting in the Burren. They’re all wonderful, personal accounts,” said Aisling.

The publication was launched at the Over-50s Show in Cork at the weekend. It will also be distributed at the Over-50s show in Dublin shortly.

“The seniors market is the most resilient in this recession. They still have their disposable income and they have the time and the interest to travel and to take breaks at home. We’re aiming to show seniors how attractive the region is for a home holiday.”

Categories
News

Shannon housing row escalates

A MEMBER of Clare County Council has written to the Minister for the Environment, expressing concerns over the delayed completion of a housing estate in Shannon.

The letter was submitted to Phil Hogan by Independent Councillor Gerry Flynn in relation to the Cluain Airne housing development, which was brought to a standstill last year. At a meeting earlier this month, the Shannon Town Manager, Bernadette Kinsella said the council was not yet in a position to provide a date for completion of the 22-unit scheme.

The project got underway in June 2009 and it was initially envisaged that it would be completed within a year.

However, it was halted and those living in the immediate vicinity are demanding its resumption.

Town councillors expressed concern over the delay and took into account the residents’ frustrations.

Cllr Flynn said he was looking for answers to two questions:

“When is the start date and when is the finish date?”

Cllr Flynn told The Clare People that he has now submitted letters to both Phil Hogan and the Clare County Manager, Tom Coughlan.

“It’s like a saga at this stage,” said Cllr Flynn. He said he would like the circumstances surrounding the development to be outlined.

At the meeting, Ms Kinsella told councillors, “I share your total frustration.

“Without a doubt, it is a nuisance for the residents in the area. We have a significant level of expressions from people who are looking for a home.”

She said that the completion period from the time the work recommences until completion is 16 weeks, adding,

“But what I don’t have is a start date.” She said;

“There were delays in the retendering process. It had been our intention that we were expecting a nomination in January. The whole process is taking longer than anticipated.”

Cllr Flynn referred to the issue as a fiasco. Fine Gael Councillor Mary Brennan said that the people of Cluain Airne were “living their worst nightmare”.

Categories
News

Ennis students’ tribute wins awards

A CAMPAIGN by students in Coláiste Mhuire to pay tribute to a former classmate and raise awareness of cancer among young people has been hailed as “creative, inspiring and positive”.

Transition-year students from the Ennis secondary school won two awards at the Young Social Innovators of the Year awards, which were held in Dublin last week.

Their project, ‘C the Bright Side’, was awarded the “Making our World Healthier – Physical Health” challenge award and they also received the ‘YSI Fun-raising Challenge’.

The students decided to base their project around the issue of cancer awareness, following the death last May of their friend, Ciara Conroy (16).

A student at Coláiste Mhuire, Ennis, Ciara was also involved with Can Teen Ireland, a nationwide sup- port group for young people who have or have had cancer.

Through various events and initiatives, the students raised almost € 500, the highest amount raised by any of the 350 projects who entered the competition.

The judges commended the students for a project that they said dealt with a “deeply sensitive personal issue in a way that was creative, inspiring and positive, through celebrating the life of a school friend”.

The project raised awareness of the issue of teen cancer and raised significant funds while leaving a lasting memorial of their friend, the judges said.

Over 5, 500 young people participated in Young Social Innovators’ project-based programme this year. Speaking at the ceremony, Sr Stanislaus Kennedy commended the winners and all the participants in Young Social Innovators 2011.