Categories
News

Mobile hurl maker to make an impact

A CLARE builder is set to revolutionise the way hurleys are made with the invention of the world’s first mobile hurley making unit.

East Clare man Flan Marsh is currently awaiting the official patent on his mobile hurley making unit, which will allow him to make customised hurls for an entire team during a single hour-long training session.

Flan has kitted out a van with everything he needs to customise the hurleys to suit an individual players needs and hopes to start visiting clubs and schools all over Ireland in the coming weeks and month.

“I was making hurleys away in the wood shed and I started thinking, if Mohammed won’t go to the mountain that I’d go to Mohammed – that’s where the idea for the mobile hurling making unit came from,” he said.

“So the idea is that I will go to clubs and to training all over the country and I’d make the hurleys, customised specially for them, while they train. I have everything I need in the van to make the hurleys exactly to their specification while they train.

“The hurls themselves would be 90 per cent made already and all I would be doing is putting in the special requirements that individual players want. I’d easily be able to kit out a full team during a training session.”

A roofing contractor by trade, Flan launched himself into the hurl making business when the recession hit the building sector in 2008.

“I wouldn’t be doing this at all only for the recession. They are tough times so I guess it was just a way of trying to make a job for myself,” continued Flan.

“I first come up with the idea of making a shatter-safe hurley, so when the hurl breaks in the middle that a part of it wouldn’t fly off. After that the idea just came to me to have a mobile unit for making the hurleys.

“Everyone has their own style of a hurl that they like, so this isn’t just a service for the elite players. I think younger players would be amazed to see what goes into making a hurley as well. It would be an education for children and adults as well; a lot of people would never have see a hurley getting made before.

“I think I’d be providing a service for people – mothers and father won’t have to go driving all over the country to get their children the hurleys they want. They won’t be wasting time and money; the hurleys will be delivered right to them.” For more info visit Flan’s website www.shattersafehurleys.com.

Categories
News

Coastguard kept busy over a weekend of unseasonably poor weather conditions

A THREE-hour search involving 16 members of Doolin Unit of the Irish Coastguard, as well as gardaí from Gort and members of the public, was stood down on Saturday evening without a sign anyone in difficulty.

A local wind surfer raised the alarm just after 6pm on Saturday evening after he saw what he believed to be a hand rising up above the water in the shallow water at Trácht Beach between Ballyvaughan and Kinvara.

The Doolin Unit of the Irish Coastguard launched the smaller D-Class boat to search the area along with six shoreline search teams.

The Shannon-based coastguard helicopter was also called to the location but after nothing was found the search was stood down shortly after 9pm.

Meanwhile, earlier that evening the coastguard was called to bring three anglers who were spotted in a dangerous location at a cliff at Trá Leathan near Doolin. The anglers were fishing and despite the dangerous storm surge had started a barbecue on the exposed cliff.

“The coastguard was tasked by the harbour master to bring the three angler to safety. They were fishing off the rocks and had set up a barbecue on the cliff,” said spokesperson for the Doolin Coastguard, Mattie Shannon.

“The weather over the weekend was very unusual for this time of year and people need to be vigilant when they are in coastal areas.”

Categories
News

Recession is isolating young people

YOUTH depression and suicide are reaching epidemic proportions in parts of County Clare, where the effects of the recession are forcing many young people deeper and deeper into isolation.

These effects are being made worse in rural parts of the county where the breakdown of old community structures and a change in traditional attitudes during the Celtic Tiger years has created a situation where young people may not have anywhere to turn.

One west Clare councillor and therapist has described the rise of youth isolation as “alarming” and warned that rural communities may no longer be strong enoughto help young people, even if those young people ask for it. According to Kilrush-based therapist Michelle Bradley, the local community structures which existed during previous recessions are no longer in place.

“In the older days, people used to go out even when they didn’t have any money. That has changed now – money seems to be the main focus and people seem to have lost the ability to connect to people without spending money,” she told The Clare People .

“The whole focus for younger people now is the money that is no longer there. It can make people very uncomfortable when they go to meet their peers. They don’t want to say that they have no work or no money. There was a much better sense of community back then.

“At this stage, I’m not even sure how supportive the community might be. Everyone has pulled back and is minding themselves. We could be sending them [isolated people] out to a community that is just not there anymore.”

Ms Bradley, who has personally known three local people who have taken their own lives in recent year, says that much of the problem is as a result of people not being able to express themselves.

“It is a huge problem here. It is to do with the isolation and not being able to express for themselves what is going on or not being involved in any group which could offer support,” she continued.

“People are trying not to spend money and not going out but in reality they are actually doing themselves harm. It is quite alarming really and is something that is just not being spoken about. I would say everyone would know at least one person who is in this situation. I can see it myself and I can see the effects it is having on people.”

Categories
News

Man charged with Ennis rape

A 28-YEAR-OLD man has been charged with raping a female in Ennis.

The accused, who cannot be named for legal reasons, is accused of two counts of rape and one count of sexual assault of a 28-year-old female at an address in Ennis, on January 14 last.

Garda Hilda Moloney told Ennis District Court on Friday that she met the accused that morning and charged him with three alleged offences.

She told Judge Joseph Mangan that the accused did not reply to charge after caution.

Defence solicitor Siobhán McMahon applied for free legal aid for her client and sought bail.

Inspector Tom Kennedy said that gardaí were not objecting to bail, on an independent surety of € 5,000 along with the defendant’s own bail of € 2,000; none of which was to be lodged.

Bail conditions were imposed, including that the accused does not contact the alleged injured party or any witnesses in the case. He was also ordered to provide an address to the State.

Judge Joseph Mangan adjourned the case until September, for preparation of the Book of Evidence.

Categories
News

Investigation opened after house burnt out

CLARE County Council has been asked to provide information on an investigation into a fire that destroyed a house in the Ballymaley Traveller accommodation scheme last week.

At a meeting of councillors in the Ennis west electoral area, Cllr Brian Meaney (GP) called on the council to provide an update on “what inves tigations are taking place and where the occupants have gone”.

A house at the site was burned out at around 4.30pm on Saturday, July 2. Gardaí are investigating the circumstances of the fire. The damage to a unit of Clare County Council’s Traveller accommodation stock follows incidents which took place in the Ennis area last year.

In May, two houses in the Ashline halting site on the Kilrush Road were burnt in an arson attack. One of the houses was extensively damaged, while the other was also damaged by the fire. In February (2010), houses at the Beechpark Traveller accommodation site were also badly damaged in an arson attack.

At the time, Clare County Council was forced to spend € 51,000 on repairs, while a further € 2,800 a week was spent on security arrangements at the site. Traveller families moved away from the site, which was built at a cost of two million euros.

Categories
News

Conquering depression door to door

A RELIGIOUS group will spend a week going door-to-door in north Clare this month to raise awareness of a special event being organised to tackle depression in the county, and to inform local people about the Ennis Evangelical Church and spread the teachings of the Gospel.

From July 25 to 29, four volunteers hope to visit as many homes as possible in a five- to 10-mile radius of Lisdoonvarna to highlight a free ‘Coping with Depression’ event.

The event is being coordinated locally by Lisdoonvarna man Phil Pain, who is a member of the Ennis Evangelical Church and whose son suffered from depression.

The Ennis Evangelical Church has been in operation in Clare for more than 34 years and teaches an orthodox Christian faith with an emphasis on the teachings in the Bible.

“The four people will base themselves in Lisdoonvarna and cover as much of the area as they can. They will knock on doors and ask if they can share the word of the gospel with the people inside or if no-one is there they will leave some material about the church and about the depression event,” Phil Pain told The Clare People yesterday.

“Depression is a real issue now in Ireland, especially in rural Ireland. When things aren’t going so well, when the economy is suffering, people feel trapped and lose homes. Suicide is unfortunately a frequent recourse for people in this position.”

Dr Steve Critchlow will be the main speaker at the free ‘Coping with Depression’ event which takes place at the Pavillion Theatre in Lisdoonvarna on Friday, July 29 from 7.45pm. The evening is aimed both at people who are suffering from depression and also at their families and loved ones.

Mr Pain said, “When I heard that my son might have been suffering from depression, I was totally taken by surprise. We were alerted to it when he started acting irrationally – he had quite a good job but he stopped going to work.

“When it came out that he was suffering from depression, I had no idea what I could do. I had never experienced anything like it myself so I could not empathise.”

“My son knew that something was going wrong but he couldn’t talk to us about it. He had felt ashamed to talk to us. That must have been awful, feeling like he could not turn to anyone. I felt totally useless when I heard. I was his dad, I had spent my life helping him but for this I felt that there was nothing that I could do.

“I found that one of the key things was just to be there and to listen just to be there for when they want to open up.”

Categories
News

Cannabis march set for Ennis

THE first march aimed at legalising cannabis ever to take place in Clare is scheduled to go ahead in Ennis on Wednesday, August 10.

The march, which is being organised by Bunratty woman Niamh O’Brien, will include a “peaceful protest” and march in the county town followed by an information session at a venue in Ennis yet to be confirmed.

Ms O’Brien, who operated her own business in Ennis, suffers from a painful and debilitating bent spine and uses medicinal cannabis to treat the pain. The use of medicinal cannabis is legal in many states in America as well as in a number of EU countries but is currently treated no differently from the use on recreational cannabis in Ireland.

The Clare branch of the Legalisation of Cannabis in Ireland organisation is encouraging people who have doubts about the movement to come to the meeting and voice their concerns.

“I am hoping to have a little peaceful protest march through Ennis to a place where we can have a meeting and a proper questions and answers session. I would hope that concerned parents, drugs councillors, politicians, nurses and doctors would come along to that. I am hoping to get a large group of people in to talk about this, especially people who are seeing people abusing drugs each day at the side of the street,” Niamh told The Clare People yesterday.

“This is an opportunity to question the Government on the current laws because we feel they are not working. I think it is more important that the people who don’t agree with us come along. It’s about opening up a dialogue and education. We want to show people that prohibition just doesn’t work and has always made things worse.”

One of the main speakers on the day will be Irish American Vincent Lavery, who was the personal secretary to assassinated US presidential candidate Robert Kennedy and a pro-legalisation campaigner.

“This is the first time that something like this will happen in Clare so I think it will be an important day for Clare people to come out and let their opinion on this matter be heard. We are still waiting to confirm the day of the march 100 per cent but when we do we will let people know,” continued Niamh.

Cannabis has been proved to have medicinal benefits as an anti-inflammatory, as a pain relief, to combat depression and anxiety, to promote appetite and to help people who have Alzheimer’s disease, MS and Parkinsons. The Facebook page of LCI, Clare now has just under 1,000 people following it.

Categories
News

Suicide figures are frightening for Clare

AN AVERAGE of 14 people have taken their own lives in Clare in each of the last five years, according to official figures received from the Central Statistics Office (CSO).

The figures show that the number of suicides in the county reached a 10-year-high in 2007, the first year of the recession, and numbers have remained high in each of the subsequent three years.

The figures also show a massive gender split in the numbers taking their own lives in Clare, with 57 men taking their own lives over the past five years compared to just 15 women.

Shocking as these figures are, they would surely be a lot worse if it wasn’t for the good work being undertaken by a number of worthy organisations on the ground.

For organisations in the front-line against depression and isolation, such as Clare Youth Services, the key can often be to tackle a problem before it becomes too serious, rather than waiting until the situation has gotten out of control.

“When people think of the area of mental health, they think about a sit- uation where things have gotten very serious. But if you look at a youth club, there could be volunteers there talking to young people, treating them like an adult and making connections with them and that could help that young person in the future,” said Brian McManus, who works with Clare Youth Services to encourage youth clubs and youth cafés to open up around the county.

“We are there at that level and just simply having a connection or an involvement with someone might be enough to help them get over a problem.

“Adolescence can be a difficult time and if you have nowhere to go then it can be difficult to change that. But if you have a safe space, like a youth club or a youth café, then maybe there will be a chance for a person to get past a little problem before it becomes a big problem.”

Clare Youth Services cannot offer a counselling services to all the young people involved in a youth club or other organisation.

However, some young people who are involved in the Community Training Centre service can obtain counselling through their participation in that scheme.

Categories
News

Nine sent forward for trial following incident at Ennis apartment ‘Made a nuisance of himself in garda station’

A MAN who “made a nuisance of himself” at a garda station found himself before a court on a public order charge.

Seán Dobbin (22), of John Paul Avenue Ennis, was accused of public order arising out of an incident on November 15, 2009.

Inspector Tom Kennedy told Ennis District Court on Friday that the accused “made a nuisance of himself” at Ennis Garda Station.

He said he rang the bell for customer service and banged on the hatch. He said he would not leave when requested and “a struggle ensued; a schmozzle as would be described in sporting terms”.

He said that the accused arrived at the garda station in the early hours of the morning after a number of other people had been arrested.

Defending solicitor Tara Godfrey said;

“To be charged with refusing to leave the garda station seems somewhat perverse.”

Judge Joseph Mangan asked, “What’s perverse about that?” She replied, “Normally the gardaí are at pains to attract people to the garda station and charge them and deal with them.”

She said that her client was highly unlikely to be before the court again. Judge Mangan directed that € 50 be paid to the court poor box. This was done and the case was dismissed.

Categories
News

Grant awarded for historic Ennis building

ONE of Ennis’s most historic buildings may be saved from collapse, courtesy of representations which have resulted in an € 85,000 grant.

But the shelving of a funding system, which was in place up to this year, means that Clare will lose grant aid for other historic structures, according to Dick Cronin, Architectural Conservation Officer with Clare County Council.

Last week, Clare got the highest single allocation in the country under the new Heritage Structures at Risk fund, with € 85,000 being allocated for urgent repairs to the 16th century McParlands, home of the former Bishop of Killaloe.

The house, at the corner of Chapel Lane and Parnell Street, which was built between 1580 and 1620 incorporates a large tripple-stack Jacobean chimney had to be shored up and made safe last year when it became clear that it could collapse.

“The whole gable is leaning more than a metre off the perpendicular and it is in very poor structural condition. This is not only a particularly important mediaeval building – it is also an historically important structure, having been the home of Dr Barrett, the Catholic Bishop of Killaloe, in the late 1700s and also the home of Harriet Smithson, who achieved fame as an actress in Europe and married the classical composer, Hector Berlioz. The house is an icon of mediaeval Ennis and with other recently discovered features, helps to date the whole town centre of Ennis,” Dick Cronin told The Clare People .

The conservation officer said that he is delighted that the grant application was successful. But the reality is that a huge slice of Clare’s architectural heritage and an important aspect of the county’s tourism attraction is in danger of being lost. One in five important structures are in urgent need of repair, he said.

“We have more than 900 buildings on the Record of Protected Structures in Clare and about 20 per cent of those are in need of help. Until this year there was grant aid available under the Conservation Grant Scheme, allowing us to assist in the repair of about 25 buildings each year, but this scheme has been shelved by the department for 2011 with no guarantee that it will be re-instated.

This shelving will result in loss of State revenue through VAT, taxes and PRSI, the loss of important historic buildings and indeed the loss of many traditional building skills, such as masonry, lime rendering and thatching, which evolved over generations and will now dissappear due to unemployment, emmigration and career changes.”