Categories
News

More than 15 per cent of Pieta patients from Clare

THERE was an increase on the number of people from Clare seeking help from suicide intervention service Pieta House in 2011. 348 people accessed Pieta House Mid West’s centre in Mungret, Limerick. 54 people came from Clare.

Tom McEvoy of Pieta House in Clare confirmed the increase ahead of the service’s second annual ‘Darkness into Light’ charity walk in Ennis next week. There are currently 20 people on a waiting list for the centre.

Mr McEvoy said, “We have a waiting list unfortunately. That isn’t the way we want Pieta House to run because we were fortunate up to now that we were able to cope with the numbers of people coming in the doors. However, we had 15 and a half per cent of the total number of people availing of Pieta’s services last year from County Clare. That’s a firm statistic.”

Mr McEvoy said the service urgently needs funding to meet its goal of providing a centre within 100km of every person in the country.

“There was a gesture made through the lottery and health board. We got € 100,000 which partly paid off the debt that we have on Pieta Mid West, our facility there. It’s like scraping all the time for funding. Instead of having a figure that we can work with, we’re continually going for bits and pieces. It’s not good enough and I feel strongly that we need to drive harder for funding.”

The Darkness into Light walk starts at 4am on Saturday, May 12 at 4am. Registration takes place at Lees Road on Thursday, May 10 and on the day.

Categories
News

Half the county not born in Clare

PEOPLE born and living in Clare will soon be outnumberd by residents who were born outside the county.

That’s the future that’s in store for the Banner County if the population trends highlighted in the latest 2011 Census of Population bulletin report published by the Central Statistics Office continue.

All because, nearly half of the people now living in Clare were born outside the county. Census returns have revealed that 47.7 per cent of Clare’s population were born outside the county boundary.

This percentage translates into 55,903 of the population of 117,196 not being born in the county, a statistic that places Clare far ahead of the provincial and national average for people the CSO say were “born outside the county of usual residence”.

At a Munster level, the CSO fig- ures have shown that the average for those born outside the county of residence stands at 30.8 per cent of the province’s overall population of 1,246088, while nationally this figures stands at 37.6 per cent.

One reason for the high percentage rate in Clare has been attributed to the lack of maternity services in Clare, which closed in the late 1980s, while the census results have also revealed that 18,522 of the county’s population were born outside the Republic of Ireland, a figure that translates into 15.8 per cent of the overall current population of the county.

The figures were released by the CSO last Friday, with the other standout statistics being the continued growth in the environs of the western corridor, with the populations of Quin and Sixmilebridge jumping by 65.5 per cent and 51.1 per cent respectively.

Categories
News

US couple seek Kilfenora cousins

THE search is on to locate the family of a Kilfenora couple who emigrated to America more than 160 years ago. An American-based descendant of Patrick Haverty and Anna Flannery – both from Kilfenora – is appealing to the people of North Clare to help them locate their Irish cousins.

Patrick Haverty married Anna Flannery in the parish of Kilfenora on May 2, 1850. The marriage was witnessed by a Pat Torpey. Shortly thereafter, Patrick moved to Detroit in Michigan and, within a few months, he sent for his wife Anna to join him. It is also possible that his wife’s sister, Anne Haverty Kennedy, also travelled to America to live with the couple in October of 1851.

Their marriage records, which have survived, are the only remaining evidence linking the family with their relation in Clare.

The American great-great-grandchildren of Patrick and Anna have contacted the Reach Out organisation, who are attempting to reunite the family with their Irish cousins.

Anyone with any information on the Haverty or Flannery families from Kilfenora are asked to contact Paula Kennedy on 086 0695152 or email pkennedy@irelandxo.com.

For more information on the Reach Out project, visit www.irelandxo. com.

Categories
News

Harbour Flights granted Limerick base

EAST Clare people commuting to Limerick City will soon be able to reduce their travel time to just eight minutes following the decision to grant planning permission for Mountshannon company Harbour Flights to operate a seaplane base in Limerick.

This completes Harbour Flights roster of six sea-airports in the region, and represents a major step forward in the Clare company’s bid to establish a commercial seaplane service for tourists and locals in Clare.

While Harbour Flights have now been granted permission to operate six sea-airports on Lough Derg, Galway, Dublin, Cobh, Foynes and Limerick, they are still awaiting final approval from the Irish Aviation Authority (IAA) to operated as a licensed commercial airline. Once this final hurdle is achieved they will be able to begin trading in a matter of days.

According to Emelyn Heaps, CEO of Harbour Flight, the new company has the potential to revolutionise the tourism industry in Clare.

“This is a massive step for us – we have been waiting for 22 months for this decision to come though.

“Our plan is to offer scenic flight from these locations as well as commuter services. We will have you into Limerick from Lough Derg in eight minutes. We will also be able to take people from Lough Derg to Dublin in about 40 minutes,” he said.

“Tourism is going to be our main product – that is why we started this in the first place. At the moment we in Clare have become a day destination for Dublin. People are getting on buses and travelling to the Cliffs of Moher or Bunratty and then back to Dublin again. The concept behind this was to make Dublin the day visit, not Clare.

“We can have people in Dublin from any of our regional airports. So people can enjoy their day in Dublin and then come back here and stay and spend their money is Clare,” added Heaps.

Categories
News

Fuel theft is ‘widespread’

CLARE’S most senior garda has acknowledged the “widespread” problem of fuel theft in Clare.

Chief superintendent of the Clare Garda Division John Kerin said yesterday that gardaí had received an estimated 40 reports of fuel theft so far this year.

He said roughly 25 report referred to the theft of home heating oil while around 15 to 20 concerned theft of fuel from cars. He explained, “It is fairly widespread, right across the country and people are using sophisticated methods.”

Chief Supt Kerin was speaking at a meeting of the Clare Joint Policing Committee (JPC) in Clare County Council.

JPC Chairman Cllr Joe Arkins (FG) said people should not be tempted by offers of cheap fuel.

He said, “If the price is unbelievable then don’t believe it.”

Cllr PJ Ryan (Ind) said his business had been a victim of fuel theft. He added, “It seems to be on the increase over the last few weeks.”

The meeting heard that 54 neighbourhood watch schemes are currently active in Clare along with 41 Community Alert Schemes and 10 Business Watch Schemes.

Chief Supt Kerin said the gardaí are placing a “major focus” on establishing new scheme and revitalising existing ones.

He said, “The Business Watch Scheme on the industrial estate in Shannon is one of the very best I have ever seen. Crime has been reduced to virtually nothing.”

Concern was also expressed about the number of burglaries in Clare.

Chief Supt Kerin said 33 per cent of all burglaries occur as a result of people leaving doors or windows open.

Cllr Cathal Crowe (FF) said it was “soul destroying” for communities to see criminals with numerous previous convictions receive suspended sentences.

Labour TD for Clare Deputy Michael McNamara said gardaí could be freed up from court time if they a new system was introduced that would allow Garda seargents to give evidence of minor crimes.

Categories
News

Signs of eagles and naturalists in Clare

MORE than 110 years after being declared extinct in Ireland, the White-tailed Sea Eagle has returned to make Clare its home.

It was confirmed yesterday that a pair of White-tailed Sea Eagles have been seen building a nest near Mountshannon in East Clare. The birds were among a number of White-tailed Sea Eagles released in Kerry National Park last year but are the first to be seen breeding.

This is a major success for the reintroduction programme and could be the first step in the re-population of eagles in Ireland. Should the Mountshannon eagles succeed in breeding, their offspring will be the first born in Ireland since 1902 – which will also make them the first White-tailed Sea Eagles to hatch in the Republic of Ireland.

“This is fantastic news for Clare and reflects the outstanding landscape and biodiversity we have here that can attract such beautiful birds,” said Clare County Council’s Biodiversity officer, Shane Casey.

“While it’s understandable that everyone will want to visit the area and have a look for themselves, its important to remember that this is a very sensitive and critical time for the birds, and as such we need to show some patience and responsibility, and let nature take its course unhindered.

“We are all hopeful that this story ends in a chick, but we must remember that this is already a success story, and that the first white-tailed eagle egg laid in Ireland in over a century was laid right here in Clare.”

Meanwhile, Kinvara youngster David Cairney received a letter from one of his idols last week – nature expert Sir David Attenborough.

Nine-year-old David, who works at the Burren Bird of Prey Centre at the Aillwee Caves in Ballyvaughan, became one of Ireland’s youngest ever published authors last month when his debut book, Ra ptors, A Pocket Guide to Birds of Prey a nd Owls , was published.

“When I saw the writing, I immediately knew it wasn’t from someone I knew. When I opened it up, I couldn’t believe who it was from,” said David.

“David Attenborough is a real hero of mine. David Attenborough and Steve Irwin are probably my two biggest heroes. I would definitely have sent Steve Irwin a copy of my book if he was still alive.”

Categories
News

‘Best man turns out to be the worst man’ comments Judge in wedding case

A BARMAN was punched in the face by the best man at a wedding as he attempted to close the bar, a court has heard.

Details of the assault were heard at Ennis District Court on Tuesday. Anthony O’Grady (34) with an address at Phairs Road, Meelick, was charged with assaulting barman Neil O’Gorman at the Bunratty Castle Hotel, Bunratty on June 27 (2010).

Mr O’Gorman told the court that he had pulled the shutter halfway down the bar at around 2am.

He said at that point Mr O’Grady attempted to push the shutter back up.

He recalled that when he said the bar was about to close, Mr O’Grady told him, “we’re paying for this f****** wedding and we’ll say when it closes.”

Mr O’Gorman said that as he attempted to close the bar , Mr O’Grady struck him in the side of his face with his fist.

The court heard that Mr O’Grady had been the best man on the day. Judge Patrick Durcan remarked that in this case, “The best man was the worst man.”

Solicitor Stiofan Fitzpatrick said his client had been heavily intoxicated. “He’s normally a light drinker. This was completely out of character.”

The court heard that Mr O’Grady is a father of three currently working in Poland. He has no previous convictions.

Mr Fitzpatrick added, “He is extremely apologetic and has been very anxious about this matter.”

Judge Durcan described Mr O’Grady’s behaviour on the night as “abominable.”

Referring to Mr O’Gorman, the judge said:

“Those who enforce the law in a peripheral manner shouldn’t be faced with loutish and ignorant behaviour.”

Noting Mr O’Grady’s good record, Judge Durcan ordered that he pay € 750 to Childline. No conviction was recorded against Mr O’Grady.

Categories
News

Student support in Cree gets the thumbs up

A SMALL West Clare primary school has been praised for its enthusiastic teaching staff, well behaved pupils and significant improvements made in information technology.

A Whole School Evaluation Report under taken by the Department of Education and Skills at Clohanbeg National School, Cree, last November, found that its board of management and the local community enthusiastically supported the school, “for which this school is the primary focal point”.

“The teachers work diligently to provide effective teaching in an atmosphere conducive to the growth of mutual respect and inclusiveness,” the report into the 36-pupil school said.

“The quality of overall teaching, learning and pupil achievement, in the areas evaluated, is very good. The principal provides able leadership to the school and is well supported by a hard-working deputy principal.

“Significant improvements have been made to the school’s information and communication technologies (ICT) infrastructure and to the integration of ICT into teaching and learning,” it said.

The report found that enrolment was “somewhat higher” than in 2004, when it last carried out an inspection.

It recommended that the board should consider appropriate protocols for communicating its work to parents and said greater cohesion and consistency is required in planning for pupils with special and additional educational needs and in recording their progress.

The school’s board of management said it was committed to implementing the recommendations during the lifetime of the board and it was encouraged by the positive feedback of the report.

A Clare secondary school also came under the microscope of the Department of Education Inspectors.

The inspectors examined the teaching of English at St Camin’s Community School in Shannon in September. The resulting report found that good interpersonal relations exist between teachers and students at the 700 student co-ed school.

“Overall, teaching was good in the lessons observed, with examples of excellent practices in some lessons,” the report said.

“Further developing the school library would be a very useful wholeschool literacy support. While progress has been made in subject department planning, this is an area where there is still scope for development.”

The report recommended more active learning strategies in classes, by extending team teaching arrangements to meet the needs of particular cohorts, and by more widespread promotion of personal reading through planned year-group initiatives.

It said subject department planning for English would be enhanced by regular, planned teacher sharing of effective teaching methods and recommended that the existing programme for first-year English should be revised in order to provide a consistent, skills-focused experience for students.

Categories
News

Clare company raises a cup to success in business award

CLARE company Cupprint Ltd has been named as winner of the Innovation & Emerging Technology Award at the national final of the Ulster Bank Business Achievers Awards, which took place at the Mansion House, Dublin, on Thursday, April 19.

Cupprint Ltd manufactures paper cups for takeaway beverages, using an innovative printing process to print a minimum of 5,000 cups with a two-week turnaround compared to a minimum of 50,000 cups and a twelve-week turnaround.

The company was established in 2009 with the unique selling point that this smaller scale manufacturing appeals to companies all over Ireland and Europe who do not need large quantities of cups. Since it was founded, the company has expanded to export to cafés and marketing companies all over Europe. Cupprint Ltd has a turnover of € 2.2 million last year and has 35 employees.

Receiving the award, Terry Fox from Cupprint Ltd said: “Winning the Ulster Bank Business Achievers Innovation & Emerging Technology Award is an honour. It represents our visions and exactly what we set out to achieve. I accept this award on behalf of our fantastic team at Cupprint and would like to thank them for their dedication and enthusiasm in keeping the company ahead of our competitors during these uncertain times. I am delighted to accept an award that recognises this achievement.”

Seven other leading businesses from across the country were selected as winners in their category at the awards, which are in association with the Irish Independent, Enterprise Ireland and InterTradeIreland.

Categories
News

Roma exhibition comes to a close in Ennis

A FINAL exhibition of work by Roma families living in Clare will take place later this week at Ennis Community College.

Clare Family Learning Project will welcome its Turkish partners for the final meeting and exhibition of families participating in the EU Comenius Regio Project.

The project has been successful in engaging Czech and Slovak families living in Ennis in a number of classes. In total, 42 adults are currently attending a number of classes including family music, family cookery and health and exercise with the Clare Family Learning Project.

Some of the participants have now moved on to more formal learning with workplace education and English language classes. Schools who are partners have now moved on to more formal learning with workplace education and English language classes. According to those involved in the project, schools that are partners have mentioned improved attendance by children of those parents. The exhibition takes place at Ennis Community College on April 30 and May 1.

A new booklet aimed at helping Czech and Slovak children to adapt to the Irish education system was launched in Ennis last September.

‘Helping Children To Do Well in School’ is a collaboration between the Clare Family Learning Project, Ennis Educate Together School, Ennis Community College and Clare Immigrant Support Centre.

The views of Czech and Slovak parents with children attending Ennis Community College and Ennis Educate Together were sought during the preparation of the booklet, which received funding from the European Union’s Comenius Regio Project.

The Ennis project is twinned with a similar EU initiative in Aydin, Turkey.

The Clare Family Learning Project was developed by Clare VEC’s, Clare Adult Basic Education Service. The project provides support to parents helping their children’s literacy and numeracy skills.