Categories
News

Lack of resources hinders service to diabetes patients

CHILDREN from Clare with diabetes are putting up with “dire” conditions as they try to manage their condition.

One of the leading experts in type one diabetes in the country, Dr Anna Clarke is now appealing to parents from the county and across the midwest to begin a letter campaign calling on the CEO of the Mid Western Hospital Group, Ann Doherty, to implement some promised measures that would alleviate the situation.

Parents of the estimated 3, 500 children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes, including an estimated 250 from Clare, lobbied politicians last year, calling for diabetes services to be restructured on a virtually cost-neutral basis.

In response, the HSE made commitments to address the inequity, inconsistency and general difficulty in accessing advanced therapies like insulin pumps outside of Dublin.

“The HSE promised to address this imbalance and build capacity for insulin pump therapy in Cork, Limerick and Galway. I am very concerned at the slow progress being made five months after the announcement,” added Professor Hilary Hoey, Chair of Diabetes Ireland.

“The situation in the Paediatric Diabetes clinic in Limerick is pretty dire,” according to Gráinne Flynn, Secretary of the Clare branch of Diabetes Ireland.

“Every child should have immediate access to a diabetes nurse specialist and a dietician on diagnosis but, in some cases, the waiting list for a child with type one diabetes to see a dietician can be up to one year,” she said.

“Another example of the lack of resources in Limerick would be if a parent telephones the clinic looking for some guidance on how to manage diabetes with a sick child, the parent is forwarded to an answering machine which may not be checked until late afternoon. By this time, the family could be highly distressed. On the other hand, if this child is an outpatient of a Dublin hospital, the parent would be put through to a live person.”

Diabetes Ireland is calling on the HSE to put in place promised nursing and dietician support to make the treatment available to children and adolescents with diabetes at Cork University Hospital, the MidWest Hospital Limerick and Galway University Hospital.

Categories
News

G ardaí find stolen caravan in L atoon

TWO Dublin people found in possession of a stolen caravan near Newmarket on Fergus have appeared in court.

Owen McDonagh (23) and Rita McDonagh (21), both of 6 Shelly Park, Dunsink Lane, Dublin 11 are charged with handling stolen property a – Tabbert Vivaldi caravan knowing the property was stolen or were reckless as to whether it was stolen at Latoon, Newmarket on Fergus on May 30 (2012).

Inspector Tom Kennedy told the court that it would be alleged that the McDonagh’s were found in possession of a caravan at 6.15am.

He said the caravan had been stolen from Spanish Point at around 2.30am.

He said the property was recovered.

He said the DPP had directed summary disposal of the case.

Judge Patrick Durcan accepted jurisdiction and adjourned the case until July 24 for hearing.

Categories
News

‘Operated drugs mini-market from his home’

A MAN who a Judge said operated a drugs “mini-market” from his former home has been warned not to come to garda attention.

Judge Patrick Durcan was speaking as he adjourned sentencing on John Gaffney (23) at Ennis District Court on Wednesday.

Mr Gaffney, with an address at 4 Sandfield Mews, pleaded guilty to having diazepam for sale or supply at 4 Sandfield Mews on September 23 (2011)

Inspector Tom Kennedy told the court that gardaí found 40 small bags of diazepam during a search of the property.

He said Mr Gaffney admitted to selling the drugs to pay off a drug debt.

Solicitor Thomas Kiely told the court that his client had become highly dependent on drugs at the age of 17.

He said Mr Gaffney had completed a residential treatment programme and after care course at Bushypark.

Mr Kiely said his client intended to become a fitness coach and had obtained a qualification as a nutritionist.

He said Mr Gaffney is a keen athlete who has joined a cycling club.

He said the fact that Mr Gaffney had been placed in custody for a brief period while he waited to have his case heard, had served as a “rude awakening”.

Judge Patrick Durcan said he had to balance the accused’s guilty plea and positive written testimonials handed in on his behalf against his previous record, which includes a conviction for sale or supply of drugs.

Judge Durcan said he had seriously considered imposing a custodial sentence.

He said Mr Gaffney had engaged in “appalling” activity.

He added, “This was 40 small bags, a real little mini-market.”

He remanded Mr Gaffney on continuing bail until November 14. Judge Durcan granted liberty to the State to re-enter the matter at 24 hours notice.

He told the accused not to come to Garda attention.

Categories
News

Six-month jail term for causing mayhem in pub

A MAN who a Judge said “created mayhem” in a public house in Quin has received a six-month prison sentence.

Kalem Wilkie (23) with an address at 126 Kilnasoolagh Park, Newmarket on Fergus appeared at Ennis District Court on Wednesday.

He pleaded guilty to provoking a breach of the peace and causing criminal damage at the Monk’s Well Pub in Quin on March 3 (2012).

He also pleaded guilty to a charge of criminal damage arising out of an incident at Kilnasoolagh Park on May 8 (2011).

Inspector Tom Kennedy told the court that Mr Wilkie had been drinking with friends in the Monk’s Well when a dispute broke out in the smoking area of the pub. He said the accused was intoxicated and became involved in a row.

The Gardaí were called after a window was broken, the court heard.

Insp Kennedy said an ambulance was also called as Mr Wilkie had cut his hand. He said the accused refused to leave with the ambulance and was subsequently detained in a garda car.

Insp Kennedy told the court that Mr Wilkie broke a door panel of a house in Kilnasoolagh Park using a pitchfork between 5pm and 6pm on May 8 (2011).

He said there had been issue between Mr Wilkie and the occupier of the house prior to the incident.

He added, “Mr Wilkie got possession of a pitchfork and took revenge on the door.”

Referring to the incident in Newmarket on Fergus, solicitor Thomas Kiely said there had been a row between his client and his then partner.

He said Mr Wilkie had been intoxicated on the day and had since paid 150 euros compensation for the damage.

In relation to the incident at the Monk’s Well, Mr Kiely said his client had taken a number of tablets along with alcohol. He said Mr Wilkie was sorry for the inconvenience he had caused to staff, gardaí and ambulance personnel.

Mr Kiely said his client wished to pay compensation.

The court heard that the accused has 21 previous convictions.

Judge Patrick Durcan said Mr Wilkie had “created mayhem” in the Monk’s Well and had abused gardaí and wasted the time of the State.

He continued; “All of the organs of the State were called to deal with this drunken bowsy on the date in question.”

He imposed prison sentences totaling six months and fined Mr Wilkie 200 euros.

Recogances were fixed in the event of appeals.

Judge Durcan added; “The day is gone when people can wander around the county of Clare with pitchforks, going into pubs tanked up and putting their elbow through windows.”

Categories
News

Minister backs SAFETALK plans

A GROUP of councillors in Ennis are expected to recommend to unions that all teachers receive suicide awareness training. It comes after the Mayor of Ennis said plans to roll out the SAFETALK programme had received the backing of the Minister for Education, Ruairi Quinn. Cllr Michael Guilfoyle (Ind) said Mr Quinn had told councillors to present their proposal to teachers’ unions during his visit to Ennis on Friday. “We would like to get support for it. The minister seemed to think it was a good idea,” added Cllr Guilfoyle. The issue of suicide awareness was raised at the June meeting of Ennis Town Council. Cllr Paul O’Shea (Lab) called on the council to request that the minister provide the SAFETALK programme to all teachers and school personnel in primary and secondary schools in Clare and throughout the State. Cllr O’Shea told the meeting that there is solid evidence that indicates that there is a higher risk of suicide during times of economic hardship. He said it would take 12 days to deliver training to teachers in all 135 primary and secondary schools in Clare. Cllr Johnny Flynn (FG) said that anyone going through a period of suicidal thoughts does so for 72 hours. He explained that a support group was available at Ennis General Hospital for people experiencing suicidal thoughts. Cllr Mary Howard (FG) told the meeting that she believed that anyone dealing with the public should take suicide awareness training. She told the meeting that she supported greater rollout of the SAFETALK programme. She added, “As a community, we can deal with it if step up to the plate.” Cllr Guilfoyle said the high incidence of suicide in Ireland is frightening. Tue12June12

Categories
News

Alleged that eight 999 calls were made to Ennis gardaí

A Judge has accepted jurisdiction of a case where a woman is alleged to have made a series of emergency calls to Ennis Garda Station.

Rachel Fogarty (21) with an address at Boher Road, Emly, Tippperary is charged with sending by means of a telecommunications systems, a message for the purpose of causing annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety to another.

It is alleged that the offence took place on August 30 (2011) at a place unknown in the district area of Ennis District No. 12.

Ms Fogarty is charged under the postal and telecommunications act.

At Ennis District Court on Wednesday, Inspector Tom Kennedy said the Director of Public Prosecutions had directed summary disposal of the case. He said it would be alleged that between 4.24am and 5.44am on the date in question, Ennis Garda Station received a total of eight 999 emergency calls.

Insp Kennedy said the gardaí were requested to attend a house in Hermitage though it was not clear why they were directed to do so.

He said gardaí discovered that the calls were allegedly made by Ms Fogarty.

Judge Patrick Durcan accepted jurisdiction. The case was adjounred until June 13.

Categories
News

Man appears in Ennis court on child trafficking charge

A MAN has appeared in court charged with an offence under the child trafficking and pornography act.

The man, who cannot be named for legal reasons, appeared at Ennis District Court on Wednesday.

It is alleged that the man, a Pakistani national, did travel with the intention of meeting up with a child, having met up with and communicated with that child on two or more previous occasions with the intent of doing an act that would constitute sexual exploitation of that child, contrary to the Child Trafficking and Pornography Act.

The offence is alleged to have occurred in an area of Clare last July.

Detective Sergeant Kevin O’Hagan gave evidence of arrest, charge and caution. The court heard that the 30year-old man replied “no” to charge after caution. Judge Patrick Durcan refused an application for bail.

He imposed reporting restrictions. Judge Durcan ordered the neither the names of the child or the accused be published.

He also ordered that the location of the alleged offence not be disclosed.

The man was remanded in custody to appear again at Ennis District Court on June 13.

Categories
News

Alleged threat to kill Ennis dentist

A MAN who allegedly threatened to kill a dentist in Ennis last month is to be sent forward for trial.

Eoin Hannan (39) with an address at 14 Kilrush Road, appeared at Ennis District Court on Wednesday.

It is alleged that on May 10 (2012) at Merchant’s Square, Ennis Mr Hannan did without lawful excuse make a threat intending that a person believed their property would be damaged. Mr Hannan is also charged with allegedly making a threat to kill or cause harm to another man by means intending the other to believe it will be carried out, at Merchant’s Square on May 11 (2012).

Inspector Tom Kennedy said both charges would be proceeding on indictment.

He told the court that the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) had directed trial on indictment.

Judge Patrick Durcan remanded the accused on continuing bail to appear again at Ennis District Court on July 4 for service of the book of evidence.

Categories
News

Bail for pair charged with assault on Kildysart Road

A 42-YEAR-OLD woman has appeared in court charged with assault causing harm to another woman near Ennis earlier this year.

Rose Joyce, with an address at 55 Abbeyville, Limerick Road, Ennis, is charged in relation to an incident at St Anthony’s Grove, Kildysart Road on April 6 (2012). Inspector Tom Kennedy told Ennis District Court on Wednesday that the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) had directed summary disposal of the matter.

He said it would be alleged that Ms Joyce went to St Anthony’s Grove to meet another woman. He said this woman was later found bleeding heavily from the head after an alleged assault.

Judge Patrick Durcan said he “reluctantly” accepted jurisdiction of the case. Ms Joyce was granted bail subject to a number of conditions. She was ordered to have no contact with the alleged injured party and to stay away from a certain named location. Another person, Brian Joyce (18), with an address at 55 Abbeyville, Limerick Road, Ennis, is charged with assault arising out of the same incident. He was granted bail subject to the same conditions.

Both accused were remanded on continuing bail until July 4.

Categories
News

‘Under pressure to sell cocaine’

AN apprentice electrician was put “under pressure” to sell cocaine in order to pay off a drug debt, a court has heard.

At Ennis District Court on Wednesday, Gerard Griffin (18), formerly of 68 Abbeyville, Limerick Road, Ennis, pleaded guilty to having cocaine for sale or supply at the same address on December 14 (2011). The court heard that Mr Griffin has now moved to a new address.

Detective Garda Stephen Hession gave evidence of arrest, charge and caution. Mr Griffin made no reply to charge after caution, the court heard. Inspector Tom Kennedy said the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) had directed summary disposal of the matter.

He told the court that Gardaí conducted a search of a property Mr Gaffney had been renting on December 14 (2011). He said cocaine with an estimated value of € 1610 was found along with a quantity of selfsealing plastic “dealing” bags.

Detective Hession said that the accused owed money for cannabis and had been told to sell harder drugs to pay off the debt. He said Mr Gaffney had been “under pressure” to sell the drugs.

He said the accused had not made any monetary gain and has since broken away from a group of people he had associated with.

Insp Kennedy said Mr Griffin has no previous convictions.

Solicitor John Casey said his client had cooperated fully with gardaí. He said Mr Gaffney had been given “little or no choice” but to sell the drugs. Mr Casey said his client, an apprentice electrician, had not sold any of the cocaine and didn’t know how to. “He still has a debt to pay off. It has scared him”, he added.

Judge Patrick Durcan praised Mr Griffin’s family for the support they had given. Addressing the accused, he said, “You are very lucky to have gotten out of difficulty.”

He said Mr Griffin was on the road to a “better place.”

Judge Durcan added, “If you get to the top of the mountain then you have nothing to fear. Your record will not be affected.”

He ordered the preparation of a report from the Probation Services and remanded Mr Griffin on continuing bail to appear at Ennis District Court on July 24.