Categories
News

Ballyalla Lake land to go up for sale

ALMOST 100 acres of council land adjacent to Ballyalla Lake, opposite Drumcliffe graveyard, is to go under the hammer on Friday.

The sale of the old dog pound site is dependent on numerous factors, not least the wishes of the council members once the deal is done.

Senior Executive Officer, Corporate Services Michael McNamara told last night’s meeting of Clare County Council that the land may not even sell if it does not reach the sale reserve. Council members can also veto the sale going through, as it must return to them for verification once the deal is done.

Cllr Brian Meaney (GP) warned that he and his Ennis colleagues would campaign to prevent the sale if a periphery around the lake was not retained in public ownership.

“I am very against the sale of any land adjoining any lake. You will not have my support or Ennis Town Council colleagues’ support to sell it and we will vigorously canvas the councillors here to reject it,” he said.

“I think it is clear that the protection of the area around the lake is important to note or it won’t be supported when it comes back here (council chamber),” said Mayor of Clare, Cllr Pat Hayes (FF).

Previously in the meeting, Mr McNamara confirmed that some of the land was adjacent to the lake. He added that the council was retaining a substantial amount of land at the opposite side of the lake.

The discussion on the sale of the land followed a joint motion pro- posed by councillors Johnny Flynn (FG), Tony Mulqueen (FG) and Pat Daly (FF) who suggested that any proceeds from the sale of the 96 acres at Drumcliffe would be ringfensed for the general Ennis area for the provision of sport and community facilities.

County Manager Tom Coughlan told the members that any money received would have to be put into the general council fund and used for the entire county.

He said the councillors had prioritised the building of sports facilities in Killaloe and Kilrush.

“You prioritised that as Ennis has Lee Road, that East and West Clare need similar.”

Clare County Council has already allocated € 300,000 to Ennis Town Council for the all weather pitch at Lee’s Road.

“Proceeds from sales over recent years have been used to fund the provision of assets such as the area depots at Shannon, Kirush, Bodyke and also at the area offices provided at Scrariff and Ennistymon,” said Mr McNamara.

Categories
News

Doonbeg golf club in the rough

THE Kiawah Resort Associates group remains “fully committed” to its exclusive five-star Doonbeg golf course resort, despite fears this week that legal action in America could spark a fire-sale of its assets.

The golf course, which was designed by two-time British Open winner Greg Norman and officially opened in 2002, is part of an overall development built at a cost of nearly € 30 million by the South Carolinabased Kiawah Resort Associates group.

However, the company’s minority shareholders have filed a lawsuit claiming that Charles ‘Buddy’ Darby – the majority owner of the firm – has been “siphoning off” and “misappropriating” income and assets for the benefit of himself and his family.

The minority owners – who include members of Mr Darby’s extended family – want a Carolina court to order that both Doonbeg and a resort on the paradise Caribbean island of St Kitts be sold off and the proceeds distributed amongst all the beneficial owners.

In a lengthy complaint just filed in a Charleston court, minority owners of Kiawah Resort Associates have made a number of allegations.

They claim Mr Darby has engaged in a “systematic, unremitting course of conduct” over a number of years to exclude minority partners from the business and affairs of the Kiawah operation.

They say they’ve been denied access to corporate information and that Mr Darby has attempted to “freeze them out”.

Mr Darby, court documents say, secured majority control of the Kiawah business in 1997. The minority partners allege that he has effectively operated the business as his own.

“There is no board of directors to oversee Buddy Darby’s total dominion” of the Kiawah business, they’ve told the court. They say he has also “unilaterally directed profits” from Kiawah businesses to himself and other businesses that have links to his own immediate family.

“Personally, I am disappointed that this action has been taken,” said Mr Darby.

“I would have hoped that the matters could have been resolved out of court and that is still my wish.”

Mr Darby said that the Kiawah group remains “fully committed” to Doonbeg and its “continuing success now and in the future”.

The Kiwah group has accumulated losses of € 48 million, but the company has a target of turning a profit at the Doonbeg resort by 2014.

In 2008, the group valued the Doonbeg links at € 17 million and buildings at € 14 million. Th e e a rly o u t lo o k fo r n e xt we e k is fo r m o re c lo u d s, o c c a sio n a l ra in a n d n o re a l su n n y d a ys ye t .

Categories
News

McNamara on Labour Board

CLARE TD Michael McNamara has been elected to Labour’s Executive Board, copperfastening his position within the party.

The East Clare man joined the party shortly before the 2011 General Election, and was still considered somewhat of a new kid on the block by some of the longer serving members. However, last week he was elected by the parliamentary party to the national board.

Deputy McNamara will be only one of two TDs to serve the party at this level but he will not be the only Clare man, as Seamus Ryan is also a member of the Executive Board.

“It’s always a great honour to be chosen by one’s peers to represent them, whether they be the citizens of Clare or one’s colleagues in the Parliamentary party. I was delighted to be proposed by Senator Ivana Bacik and seconded by Arthur Spring TD,” said Deputy McNamara.

He fought off competition from Dublin’s Kevin Humphreys TD for the position in an election among the parliamentary party members.

The Clare TD noted that the vote was taken on the day that a controversial report, which suggested that a high proportion of Irish people with young children would be better off on the dole than in employment, was being discussed.

“To me, this is the one of the major issues we have to resolve. Many of our voters who are low-paid workers are stretched to their limit and ques- tion why they are working. There are others, who I met canvassing for last year’s elections and the referendum, who are on the dole and want to work. There are a small few who are on the dole and working.”

He said he now looks forward to getting involved in the party’s policy sub committee.

Categories
News

July start date for new Ennis relief road

ENNIS’ traffic problems are set to be alleviated with the completion of the long-awaited inner relief road, the final phase of which is set to be completed this September.

Ennis Town Council has revealed that work on the completion of the road is set to commence in July, after the announcement that the local authority has signed a € 360,000 construction contract with Gildoc Limited.

The contract provides for the con- struction of 180 metres of single carriageway road, footpaths and services, including new traffic lights at Station Road and Clare Road.

The Ennis Inner Relief Road Section E contract, which will be delivered by Ennis-based Liam O’Doherty Building Contractor on behalf of Gildoc Limited, has a completion deadline for late September.

“I would like to compliment Ennis Town Council for delivering this project which many had feared would not go ahead due to the current fiscal constraints,” said outgo- ing Mayor of Ennis, Michael Guilfoyle.

“However, the necessary funding has been secured to ensure the delivery of what will be a very beneficial infrastructure project for Ennis Town Centre.

“It will complement similar road projects in recent years, including the section of the Inner Relief Road from Station Road to Francis Street and the Ennis Bypass, in further reducing traffic congestion in the Clare County capital.

“Once completed, the new road will link Station Road at Mad- den’s Furniture to Friar’s Walk, the Causeway, Clare Road at Cathedral Court,” explained Eamon O’Dea, Ennis Town Engineer.

“This section of the Inner Relief Road will improve traffic flow to the town centre for customers and visitors to Ennis, and will reduce traffic congestion in the Station Road and Upper O’Connell Street area of Ennis,” added Mayor Guilfoyle.

Categories
News

‘Fresh focus’ on Doonbeg Pier?

THE development of a maritime and angling centre at Doonbeg Pier may soon be back on the agenda as MEP Marian Harkins (IND) last week committed to finding funding for the project at European level.

More than half a million euro of funding had been allocated to the project in 2008, but this funding was never drawn down because of a difficulty in obtaining a foreshore license for the area.

The MEP, who visited the pier last week and met with representatives of the Doonbeg Fishermen’s Association, says the Doonbeg Pier is in bad need of development which could mean a major boost for the local fishing and tourism industry.

“It seems extraordinary that a project which was approved funding of € 525,000 in 2008 and is deemed strategically important by Clare County Council has not proceeded,” said the MEP.

“I will be doing whatever I can to bring a fresh focus on a project which will be of great benefit to the economy of West Clare.”

It is, as yet, unclear what “fresh focus” Ms Harkins will be able to bring to the project but some funding from the European authorities could possibly be used to kickstart the project.

Responding to Ms Harkins comment, Senior Engineer with Clare County Council, Tom Tiernan, said that the council did grant the development Part VIII planning permission more than four years ago.

“Clare County Council has never referred to Doonbeg Pier as a strategically important project, as claimed by Ms Harkin.

“However, Doonbeg Pier is zoned for maritime use in the West Clare Local Area Plan 2012-2018,” he said.

“The harbour area on Doonbeg Bay is reserved for the future development of the pier and land-based facilities to accommodate waterbased commercial activities, subject to compliance with all environmental considerations and legislation.

“Clare County Council approved development under the Part VIII at Doonbeg Pier in 2007. The proposal at the time also needed Foreshore Lease approval and this was also sought in 2007.

“Unfortunately, this was never approved and therefore the allocation referred to by Ms Harkin could not be availed of.”

During her visit to Clare last week, MEP Harkin was given an “extensive briefing” on the development.

She said that she would be investigating what sources of funds might be available for what she described as a “very justified project” utilising the uniquely safe and sheltered characteristics of Doonbeg Pier.

Categories
News

Alleged threat to kill Ennis dentist

A MAN who allegedly threatened to kill a dentist in Ennis last month is to be sent forward for trial.

Eoin Hannan (39) with an address at 14 Kilrush Road, appeared at Ennis District Court on Wednesday.

It is alleged that on May 10 (2012) at Merchant’s Square, Ennis Mr Hannan did without lawful excuse make a threat intending that a person believed their property would be damaged. Mr Hannan is also charged with allegedly making a threat to kill or cause harm to another man by means intending the other to believe it will be carried out, at Merchant’s Square on May 11 (2012).

Inspector Tom Kennedy said both charges would be proceeding on indictment.

He told the court that the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) had directed trial on indictment.

Judge Patrick Durcan remanded the accused on continuing bail to appear again at Ennis District Court on July 4 for service of the book of evidence.

Categories
News

Bail for pair charged with assault on Kildysart Road

A 42-YEAR-OLD woman has appeared in court charged with assault causing harm to another woman near Ennis earlier this year.

Rose Joyce, with an address at 55 Abbeyville, Limerick Road, Ennis, is charged in relation to an incident at St Anthony’s Grove, Kildysart Road on April 6 (2012). Inspector Tom Kennedy told Ennis District Court on Wednesday that the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) had directed summary disposal of the matter.

He said it would be alleged that Ms Joyce went to St Anthony’s Grove to meet another woman. He said this woman was later found bleeding heavily from the head after an alleged assault.

Judge Patrick Durcan said he “reluctantly” accepted jurisdiction of the case. Ms Joyce was granted bail subject to a number of conditions. She was ordered to have no contact with the alleged injured party and to stay away from a certain named location. Another person, Brian Joyce (18), with an address at 55 Abbeyville, Limerick Road, Ennis, is charged with assault arising out of the same incident. He was granted bail subject to the same conditions.

Both accused were remanded on continuing bail until July 4.

Categories
News

‘Under pressure to sell cocaine’

AN apprentice electrician was put “under pressure” to sell cocaine in order to pay off a drug debt, a court has heard.

At Ennis District Court on Wednesday, Gerard Griffin (18), formerly of 68 Abbeyville, Limerick Road, Ennis, pleaded guilty to having cocaine for sale or supply at the same address on December 14 (2011). The court heard that Mr Griffin has now moved to a new address.

Detective Garda Stephen Hession gave evidence of arrest, charge and caution. Mr Griffin made no reply to charge after caution, the court heard. Inspector Tom Kennedy said the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) had directed summary disposal of the matter.

He told the court that Gardaí conducted a search of a property Mr Gaffney had been renting on December 14 (2011). He said cocaine with an estimated value of € 1610 was found along with a quantity of selfsealing plastic “dealing” bags.

Detective Hession said that the accused owed money for cannabis and had been told to sell harder drugs to pay off the debt. He said Mr Gaffney had been “under pressure” to sell the drugs.

He said the accused had not made any monetary gain and has since broken away from a group of people he had associated with.

Insp Kennedy said Mr Griffin has no previous convictions.

Solicitor John Casey said his client had cooperated fully with gardaí. He said Mr Gaffney had been given “little or no choice” but to sell the drugs. Mr Casey said his client, an apprentice electrician, had not sold any of the cocaine and didn’t know how to. “He still has a debt to pay off. It has scared him”, he added.

Judge Patrick Durcan praised Mr Griffin’s family for the support they had given. Addressing the accused, he said, “You are very lucky to have gotten out of difficulty.”

He said Mr Griffin was on the road to a “better place.”

Judge Durcan added, “If you get to the top of the mountain then you have nothing to fear. Your record will not be affected.”

He ordered the preparation of a report from the Probation Services and remanded Mr Griffin on continuing bail to appear at Ennis District Court on July 24.

Categories
News

Steering groups revealed

THREE different groups made up of 28 people have been charged with responsibility for coming up with a new blueprint for an independent Shannon Airport.

The final make-up of the Shannon Airport Steering Committee and two task forces was revealed on Thursday last in a joint statement issued by Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport Leo Varadkar and Minister for Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation Richard Bruton.

Together will overseeing the separation of Shannon from the Dublin Airport Authority, the three groups will also have responsibility for the re-alignment of tourism and enterprise support functions in the region.

The Steering Group is jointly chaired by Tom O’Mahony, Secretary General at the Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport and John Murphy, Secretary General at the Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation and will include senior officials from those Departments as well as the Departments of Finance, Public Expenditure and Reform, and Environment, Community and Local Government.

The group has held its first meeting and is currently planning its work programme for the period ahead.

“The Government recently decided in principle to separate Shannon Airport from the Dublin Airport Authority (DAA) and bring it together with Shannon Development to form a new entity with a commercial mandate in public ownership,” said Minister Varadkar.

“The Steering Group is charged with bringing forward proposals for the implementation of that decision, including the optimisation of the en- terprise development arrangements in the region, before the end of the year,” he added.

“We are delighted that so many high calibre people, experts in many different fields, are prepared to serve on the Steering Group and the two Task Forces along with the agencies,” said Minister Bruton. “We are grateful to them for giving of their time and effort to bring forward proposals for the implementation of the Government decision in relation to Shannon,” he added.

Categories
News

€76k for parking upgrade

ENNIS Town Council has given the green light to a € 76,000 upgrade of coach parking facilities in the town centre.

The plan, which aims to boost the amount of bus tours stopping in Ennis, was adopted last week at the council’s June meeting.

According to a report from Town Manager Gerard Dollard, the scheme would involve the conversion of the lower part of Friar’s Walk car park to a coach park with coaches dropping off and picking up passengers adjacent to the County Museum.

A bus shelter is to be provided while a tap facility will be available to which coach operators could con nect a hose for coach washing purposes. A wastewater disposal facility would also be provided to enable operators to empty waste disposal units from the coach.

Mr Dollard explained, “The overall park would be monitored by CCTV that would be linked to the Glór centre where drivers would be able to remain for the duration of the passenger’s visit to the town. They would also be available to observe their coach on the CCTV monitors in Glór.”

Mr Dollard said further talks would now take place with coach operators and the business community “to ensure maximum benefit is derived from the scheme”.

The report states that Friar’s Walk has been vacant since the change from long stay parking to short stay parking was introduced in 2011. Mr Dollard said that the revenue loss to the council from the changes would be “minimal”.

The council’s traffic section estimates the average monthly loss in parking income would be € 484.80.

It will cost the council € 76,612 to carry out the upgrade with CCTV in- stallation (€ 32,000) accounting for most of the cost.

Mr Dollard said, “It is appreciated that progression of this project would represent a significant investment by Ennis Town Council. However this is a strategic initiative by the council to attract coach business to the town and must be seen in the wider context of economic benefit to the town area.” Members welcomed the scheme with Cllr Johnny Flynn (FG) describing it as a “great initiative”.

Cllr Frankie Neylon (Ind) told the meeting that he believed the plan would bring more business to Ennis. Cllr Brian Meaney (GP) urged the council to consider an advanced booking system to facilitate use of the facility by camper vans.

He also proposed that car parks at Ennis Town Council and Clare County Council be opened for fans going to matches in Cusack Park.

“It could be a very effective use of a public space,” he said.